Monday, September 6, 2010

Ode to Moosewood


Have you heard of Moosewood restaurant. Because your about to fall in love with there cookbooks. They use a simple concept: shop local, use fresh ingredients and your work as a cook is minimal. I have never made something out of their books that hasen't gone on my "Make to impress" list.

One of my teachers Dr. Pust brought this Gazpacho in during a night coarse on Global health I was taking with him. I was not too excited because to be honest I don't like gazpacho. But this was different. I devoured the first bowl and went for a second. It was fresh and crunchy, a little bit of spice and the summer vegetables were a perfect blend.

So it was no surprise when he brought me the recipe and it was the telltale page of a moosewood cook book. They had the power to turn me.

Gazpacho:
20-30 min prep 2 hours to chill about 6-8 servings

Ingredients:
4 cups cold tomato juice ( i used 6 cups one large bottle)
1 small, well minced onion'2 cups freshly diced tomatoes
1 cup minced green pepper
1 diced cucumber
1 bunch copped radish
4-5 stocks celery
3 scallions/green onions chopped
juice of one lemon
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 tbs. wine vinegar
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. tarragon
dash of cumin
1 tsp. honey
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsp. olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
Tabasco to taste

Combine all ingredients and chill for at least 2 hours. Eat and eat and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment